Sunday, February 18, 2007

WHY WOULD ANYBODY WANT TO LEAVE LA?

You have to wonder about a city that inspires so many songs about getting the hell out...Song writers from Burt Bacharach to Irving Berlin are very clear on their sentiments of our town:
Do you know the way to San Jose?
I'm going back to find some piece of mind San Jose
L. A. is a great big freeway
Put a hundred down and buy a car
In a week - maybe two - they'll make you a star
Weeks turn into years and quickly pass
And all the stars that never were
are parkin' cars and pumpin' gas
I've got lots of friends in San Jose
Can't wait to get back to San Jose -
-Burt Bacharach
Sometimes a writer tries to pen a tune about his longing to get out of town, but finds the whole first verse has been censored!
The sun is shining/the grass is green/orange palm trees sway/there never been such a day in beverly hills/but it's December the twenty-fourth/ and I'm longing to be up north" -- Irving Berlin from the "Lost" first verse of "White Christmas"
Learn more about the original satirical first verse at "I'm Dreaming of a Jewish Christmas"

Beth Hart left no room for editing when she belted out:
Man I gotta get outta this town
Man I gotta get outta this pain
Man I gotta get outta this town
Outta this town and out of L.A.
--
Beth Hart, "LA Song"
I'll sign out with a rejoinder from the late 2Pac:
"To live and die in LA, it's the place to be
You've got to be there to know it, what everybody wanna see."

Peace Out


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: